What is the Purpose of a Comprehensive Plan?
A comprehensive plan is the official document that establishes a series of goals, policies, and benchmarks to guide the future development of the city, including development regulation decisions of elected officials and local government staff.
The comprehensive planning process builds consensus and commitment on these goals and policies from elected and appointed officials, staff, the overall community, and other interested parties. The final adopted comprehensive plan allows the city to be proactive and manage its growth to achieve the community’s vision.
Growth Management in Washington State
Comprehensive planning in Washington is performed under the Growth Management Act (GMA), a legislative package requiring certain cities and counties to adopt comprehensive plans to manage population growth. The City of Mountlake Terrace is required to plan under the GMA and must adopt a comprehensive plan satisfying the requirements by December 2024.
The Office of Financial Management is tasked with developing population projections for each jurisdiction. Mountlake Terrace is required to determine where growth (population, housing units, and jobs) should occur and use their comprehensive planning process to make sure the city can accommodate the projections (RCW 36.70A.115).
The comprehensive plan is organized into Elements, which include the following:
- Economic Vitality
- Land Use
- Recreation, Parks, and Open Space
- Capital Facilities
Recent changes to state law also need to be addressed through the comprehensive planning process, such as housing affordability, equity, and climate change.
The GMA places an emphasis on implementation, since most goals and polices in a comprehensive plan cannot be achieved without strong regulatory and financial support (such as zoning, capital spending, and non-capital spending).
How To Get Involved:
1) Attend a Comprehensive Plan Advisory Group meeting. The first meeting will be held on Wednesday, September 27th from 6:30pm to 8:30pm at City Hall Council Chambers and via Zoom.
Meetings are open to the public and there is opportunity for public comment.
2) Attend the Special Joint Meeting between Planning Commission, City Council, and the Comprehensive Plan Advisory Group on Wednesday, October 4 at 6:30pm for a “Comprehensive Plan 101” workshop. The meeting will be held at City Hall Council Chambers and via Zoom
- Zoom Meeting Information: Meeting ID: 818 3616 3364 Passcode: 23204
- Agenda and Meeting Materials
Community members are encouraged to attend to learn more about the Comprehensive Plan update process, and state and regional requirements.
3) Take our survey and share it out to people you know in the community!
What would you like to see in your community as it grows? What’s important to you?
Join in the fun and participate in the planning for the next 20 years in Mountlake Terrace!
Use the link above to take our short survey and let us know your “Big Ideas” for Mountlake Terrace.
Please sign up for email notifications if you would like to stay informed of opportunities to get involved and provide input, and general updates on the Vision 2044 Comprehensive Plan update.