How can I prevent carbon monoxide poisoning?
Invisible and odorless, carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that is produced when any fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood or charcoal is burned. It can kill a person in minutes. Never burn charcoal inside any enclosed area or use gasoline-powered equipment indoors. Never use a gas oven or an unvented gas or kerosene heater to heat your home. Have oil and gas appliances, fireplaces and wood stoves checked every year by a trained professional. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, fatigue, weakness, confusion and nausea. If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, get to fresh air immediately and call 911.

Show All Answers

1. Where are the shelters/feeding stations for my neighborhood?
2. As a senior citizen, how can I be better prepared?
3. Do I shut off my gas immediately after an earthquake?
4. What do I do with my pet?
5. How can I prevent carbon monoxide poisoning?
6. How can I survive a power outage?
7. What should I do if a power line falls down?
8. Will my gas heater work?
9. How can I stay warm?
10. How can I safely use alternate heat sources?
11. How should a portable generator be used?
12. How do I keep food safe to eat?
13. How do you treat contaminated water?
14. How do I operate my electric garage door opener?
15. Are there special considerations for people with chronic health problems?
16. Are there any recommended evacuation guidelines?
17. What should I do with my insurance and other vital records to prepare for emergencies?